Friday, February 22, 2013

Male Writers of Erotica: The New Frontier?

     It would certainly appear so but it isn't that simple considering many men have been writing erotica for awhile. I think we have become more noticeable now more than ever, partly due to the new found attention erotica is getting through sales and promotion. It's no longer a dirty subject that readers don't admit engaging in. It's the new rage at the moment and the watercooler topic at work. It may still be whispered about but it's alive and kicking like never before and creating awareness for all erotica authors both male and female. Love them or hate them but The Fifty Shades Trilogy has kicked open the doors to a fondly and publicly embraced love of all things erotic!
     Thankfully male writers are seeing themselves somewhat in the spotlight now and response from readers has been riddled with shock. Why? I think most women that read erotica are surprised at the depth of feeling and character contained within our narrative. For a lot of us it's not just about getting a quick and vividly described screw jotted done electrically for all to read and get their naughty parts tingling. The vast majority of us care as much about relationships as anyone else in the world. Many readers are surprised that we can effectively capture the voice of a female lead and write their story convincingly yet it is not usually debated about when a female author writes from a male perspective. The lines are blurring and readers are discovering that we also have an insight into the human condition bot male and female. We watch, learn, and connect because we have taken the time to put ourselves in our opposite genders position. We have had frank discussions with them and have listened and learned and felt as they have felt because we care.
     The biggest feedback by far though from my female audience is they not only enjoy and find a freshness in the male writers depiction of sex and erotica but are also pleasently surprised at the amount of respect we hold for our female counterparts. We write people as people truly are. We all want the same things. We want to be loved and to love. We want to not be afraid to show our insecurties and be punished for having them.We want to be able to trust completely and have that trust returned in kind. We want to know there is a place where we belong and in that place there is a kindred soul that belongs there by our side. Many of us think about al these things as we write so don't be surprised if you get more than smut for your money. In fact you should demand it!!!!!
 Chase Boehner

12 comments:

  1. you have with great eloquence hit the nail on the head. we, in america anyway, have been raised to find sexuality taboo and only appropriate behind closed doors. not only has erotic allowed us a venue to openly explore despite our puritanical surroundings, but it has given us insight into passion on both sides of the divide. we are not the roles society has pigeon holed us into and you are correct that male viewpoints have been misconstrued. thank you for giving an astute and well stated point of why all writers, male or female, erotica or not, should be valued for their ability to convey a story on an emotive level. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every author can thank EL James for opening up society to accept the genre. Erotica has been around but has been a hidden passion for some for years. With society accepting this it has opened so many doors for new talent to emerge. Men has allows been perceived as the protector the strong one. So men writing erotica/romance provides a much different picture of them. We get to see a side of them that most don't show. Men in these genres has been extremely popular as woman swoon. For example Nicholas Sparks, his books are so widely read by woman. I find it refreshing to see men writing in this genre, I'm able to see a whole new side of how men think but also gives hope that there are men out there that do think and act like that. So thanks for allowing us in your head friend :) we all very much enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so very refreshing to hear that a man's thoughts and feelings are not always in the gutter. Well, maybe they are mostly in the gutter, but at least we know that there are emotional feelings and loving thoughts thrown in the mix. Most men will never admit to it, but I think a real man, especially one in love, has no fear of showing his feelings to the one that matters most to him. Let them be macho men to the rest of the world, as long as we have men like Chase who will let us in on their little secrets of heartfelt passion and desire rather than just empty, wide aimed lust. We women have been kept in the dark of the real heart of a man long enough! Thank you Chase for giving us a glimpse of what a man is really made of! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that. Such a wonderful thing to think on, male erotica writers being out there in the open. I for one love male authors, although my personal preference tends to go more for GBT males than heterosexual :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chase, how do you feel when writing the female perspective? I must admit, it is a challenge for me to write from a male POV. A big challenge actually. My male POV's are based on my observations mainly of hubby but also my brothers. Ever since I was young I have fantasized about being a man for just one day. What would it feel like to give rather than receive? (Quivers at the thought). I totally agree with you that all humans have the same basic needs. Therefore, it makes sense that men can write emotionally satisfying erotica. In my opinion, it's great there are male and female authors in the genre so we can enjoy from both ends. ;) ~Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how to answer that because I don't have a set process for writing from either p.o.v. I have been fortunate enough to have always had an abundance of female friends and I'm a natural observer. I also use female beta readers to make sure the character sounds true and authentic. My female p.o.v stories have been greatly received and thankfully so. I stressed out quite a bit before hand over them. I hope that helps. :-)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for writing this. It's something I've been thinking about for a while. I wrote a post a while back about "erotica for men," in response to Ellora Cave's new (at the time) imprint, EC for Men. Basically, it explored the kind of erotica that men were drawn to.

    But the truth of the matter is that it's not about the kind of erotica men are drawn to, because that's largely the same as the type women are: richly drawn characters going through scintillating situations that lead to explosive sex. The level of detail can be different, but I'm not sure that it shifts along gender lines... it's more personal preference. As you write here, the more interesting question is: what are male writers writing about. It's "erotica by men," not "erotica for men."

    Also, as an aside, I find it interesting that nearly a year later, the EC for Men line have only a couple male authors contributing, and otherwise, it's all men.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wrote some more thoughts on my site: Erotica by a man
    http://www.kennywriter.com/erotica-by-a-man/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Chase - somehow my first attempt at posting my comment ended up posting to the Cameron interview comment section instead, so you may want to delete it over there. Too bizarro... ;-) Here it is in its proper place! CK

    Thanks for referring me to this article. I really do think that you've hit upon a significant point. Male erotica authors can provide just as emotionally satisfying results, defined characters and a detailed, patient approach to developing a believable romantic story arc as a female author can. I might not have agreed with you two years ago, but last summer I became a believer. As I commented on your other blog, I come from the contemporary romance genre as a reader and am new to the erotica genre. Similarly, I am writing a book not for erotica but for the romance audience as well. But last summer, I read two contemporary romance novels by Sylvain Reynard that knocked the wind out of me. Written by a man. Definitely the most beautiful, emotionally engaging love story and highly erotic love scenes that were still sensual and captivating, and frankly, I wouldn't have suspected that from a male author - I'll admit it. But after Reynard. I'm a believer. It's too general to sweep across and insist that male erotica authors or male romance authors, for that matter, are created equal (just as it would be a gross generalization for women authors), but if you discover thoughtful writers like the Cameron Lincolns, like the Chase Boehner (yes), that take that care and attention and appeal to the emotional aspect as much as the physical, the end result is just as alluring and memorable. So I'm a believer, Chase. Yes, I am. :) Thanks again for referring me to this blog post. Keep writing the good stuff! Chris Kuhn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are exactly right Chase, even though I have just started writing, the few people I have told are surprised that I do it. I still have a lot to work out, I have never written anything, But I look forward to learning and growing myself and my characters. I am also open to any critique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chase,

    I would have to agree 100%. I've had quite a few readers assume I was female. I find it to be a great compliment.

    I do seem to write the whole gamut of sexual scenarios though. It may be hot and heavy, or it may have more of a story with more emotion involved. Regardless, I tried to write for everyone, males and females alike.

    Thank you for giving men the kudos they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I agree with almost everything you said. I feel that the idea of being a lecherous pervert because you a guy and write erotica is becoming less and less the norm.

    ReplyDelete